I'm going to venture to guess that if you're reading this right now you're either weighing the pros and cons of modern cloth diapers or you're trying to figure out if you're washing your cloth diapers correctly! Well, first welcome and second let's chat for a moment about the value of cloth diapers!
The cloth diapers of today are a lot simpler than the kickin' it old school style that your mama and grandma used! Instead of pins we use Snappi's, instead of wet pails we use dry pails, instead of plastic pants we use cloth diaper covers. Simple. That's how we like our modern cloth nappies, because life with a new baby is complicated enough.
All that being said, you're here because you want to know how to wash your diapers! And we are going to go into that in-depth, a lot of depth over our next three blog posts- we will be discussing Washing PUL Covers, Washing Wool Covers and Longies, Washing All In Ones & Fitteds.
Buuut we want to start with the Do's and Don'ts of washing your cloth nappies!
The Laundry Detergent you use can make or break your cloth diapers, literally!
- Your Detergent needs to be fragrance free
- Cloth Diaper Laundry Detergent needs to be dye & brightener free
- Cloth Nappie Laundry Detergent should be enzyme free
- The Cloth Diaper Detergent you use should be natural
- The Cloth Diaper Detergent should have previously tested on cloth diapers (not yours!)
We highly recommend Charlies Soup. This detergent has been tested on the toughest of stains and the stinkiest of diapers.
- Do not use traditional fabric softeners on your cloth diapers. EVER.
- Do use Wool Dryer Balls to soften stiff diapers and laundry.
- HOT, Hot, hot - Do not wash your cloth diapers in super hot water unless you are stripping them. Using water that is too hot can cause delamination in your covers and deteriorate the natural fibers in cotton and bamboo.
- Warm - This is generally an ideal temperature setting to use with your laundry detergent.
- Cold - The perfect temperature for pre-rinsing and rinsing your diapers!
Phew, that was a lot to get out there as an intro to washing your diapers! Lucky for you, the process of washing your diapers properly isn't near as challenging as the Do's and Don'ts of washing them!